Request a callback ×
Please fillout the form below and we will call you back
No, it is completely free to use MTMC! MTMC platform can be used booking online procedures at your choices by paying 1% of the procedure cost and the remaining can be paid at our associate partner Hospitals. This 1% charges is for your Booking confirmation.
For Booking your Air-ticket or Hotel, you have to pay 100% in advance as per the airlines or Hotels Policy and Terms and Conditions.
Please read through the Terms and Condition before booking.
After you visit MTMCGLOBAL.COM and have decided on your procedure(s) , here is a simplified breakdown to guide you through the medical travel process:
Rehab Center (Post-operative Care Center):
Some of the Issues Medical Tourists Face Post-Discharge:
Why this is Relevant for Medical Tourism Patients?
We aim to maintain the highest quality bar for healthcare consumers, so we ensure all hospitals listed with us are JCI & NABH (internationally or nationally) accredited and approved by our board after detailed research and scrutiny.
The decision for where to get your treatment is entirely up to you. We try to provide the necessary information to help with your decision. If you are unsure where to start please contact us at Inquiry@mtmcglobal.com and we’ll be happy to assist you.
We aim to maintain the highest quality bar for healthcare consumers, so we ensure all hospitals listed with us are internationally or nationally accredited and approved by our board after detailed research and scrutiny.
We are constantly expanding and growing our hospital network. Please tell us which hospital you are interested in seeing on MTMC. You can do so by emailing us at Inquiry@mtmcglobal.com
We’re sorry you weren’t able to find a hospital that meets your requirements. Please contact our customer service department at Inquiry@mtmcglobal.com and tell us of your specific requirements so our team can assist further to meet your needs.
The price given by the Hospital’s is the estimated cost for that procedure based on your medical condition document submits to us. Once you arrived at the hospitals, you will be re-examined your current condition and get an approximate cost specific to your case based on your condition, medical history, and treatment needs. This actual cost may vary depending on your current condition and after re-evaluation by Hospitals but the cost varies 10%+ or 10%- on the tentative cost given to you while booking.
The cost can be further negotiated if required by MTMC.
For Post-Operative Care center, you have to co-ordinate with MTMC and book separately if you wish to.
We are already listing it out all the global Insurance Companies associated with our Partner Hospitals. Please check with the provider to confirm whether they accept your insurance before Booking.
Please contact our customer service department at Inquiry@mtmcglobal.com and tell us more and we will do our best to meet your needs.
If you are unsure of the timeframe you can pick a tentative date. The dates can always be modified later based on mutual consent between Hospital and Patient. But MTMC advice all its patient to book 15 days in advance to plan the Medical Travel well and save potentially on the cost.
You should hear back from the hospital within 48 hours. Please feel free to contact us if any further query at Inquiry@mtmcglobal.com so that we can follow up on your behalf.
We are a technology driven company. We maintain very high standards with respect to our entire patient’s confidentiality and privacy, including the transfer of sensitive materials at all times. With your permission, our MTMC platform will only send your records to the providers of your choice. Your data will not be used for any other purpose and will be secure at all times.
While booking a hospital one should pay attention to hospital quality, treatments provided, cost, hospital and Patient/Doctor’s reviews. You can very soon see the information regarding speciality wise best preferred Hospitals in our platform and its ranking done by third party organisation who publishes it at our national papers.
You should choose the right Hospitals where you get treated. You may not avail the best Doctors always rather we advise to choose a good Hospital where you get an amazing experience the entire process. You still have an option to go through the profile of Doctors and ask for a 2nd opinion by requesting a Video Conferencing before finalising the Booking.
Yes, there are no obligations on which flight to choose and where to stay. This is entirely your choice.
MTMC coordinators are appointed for each and every patient who will be assisting you from the time of your arrival till you way back home. Their sole function is to provide you with all assistance that you may need. They will ensure that transportation arrangement, Hospital Registration and appointment, Police verification, Currency Exchange, Accommodation, Food of your choice are taken care. MTMC personalise all its patients need.
Our partner Hospitals provides Language translator service for your assistance during the entire process. Please request with the hospital for your specific language needs.
It is your decision to undergo a procedure or not. You always have the right to change your plans. We recommend you to take the decision before booking, so that you can save your travel and time cost. Cancelation charges applicable as per the policy and terms and condition.
Since we have integrated our Payment gateway service, you can pay 1% of the tentative Quotation amount as booking confirmation amount and the remaining 99% can be paid at the Hospitals directly before the procedure.
For Ex: If Procedure Cost is 1000 USD, then 1% payment i.e, 10 USD pay through MTMC online Payment gateway and the remaining 99% payment i.e, 990 USD payment can be made at Hospital over the counter.
You should carry the currency with you to cover the costs of your medical treatment and accommodations and your other needs (food, entertainment, shopping etc.)
Our goal is to ensure you have a great memorable experience, during and after you return back to your home country. Once you return home, we are still at your service and will gladly do our best to make sure that your needs have been taken care for further co-ordination from our end.